Friday 21 January 2011

Another look at the project



Since I started being interested in working with the landscape of Prees Heath the Air Traffic Control Tower has been boarded up to reduce vandalism but spaces in the walls have been left for the use of birds and bats.

This building has a starkness which I really like. I ask myself is it derelict or is it a ruin? Has a ruin more status than a building which is derelict? Has a 20th century building the same kudos as a ruined roman fort?

I think the fact the two main roads pass around this heathland. Vehicles pass by this little bit of common land, notice it then forget it.

However, this land is the habitat for a variety of flora and fauna. A place for walking, a delightful colourful space with mosses and birch trees creating visual interest. I am so aware that small pieces of land can hold such diversity its this looking deeper into a landscape that continues to inspire my work.

No comments: